Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Plan B+

Well, there is no magic formula. Alimentum showed no change in Gabriel's tendency to reflux. It got to the point where we called the GI doctor weekend pager and were told to put him back on the pump (which means taking the baby food out of the formula mix) and letting it run for an hour per feed. It feels like three steps backwards. We want to get him to eating three meals a day, not moving toward a continuous daytime drip. So, I modified. Again.
The hour pump helps, in that when he does reflux, not as much comes up, but he was still throwing up at almost every feed. So, I went to the store and got the probiotics. We started them last night, and so far today, everything has stayed down. I'm not calling it a success yet. We need to see if the same trend holds over the next few days.
As for the baby food, I've added it to his separate juice feed, and he's holding that down just fine. And since it's "extra" I can conceivably add as much as I want (up to a cup a day) to his diet. I hope to show them that "real" food works better for him than formula. I don't know if that's the case yet, but from everything I've heard about blenderized diets, most babies do much better once you make the switch.
So, here's to plan B+....and hopefully we won't have to move to plan C-.

No comments:

Post a Comment